|Friday, September 19, 2014|
- Call for Nominations: 2015 Rockefeller College Alumni Awards
- Location: Rockefeller College
- Description: Each year at its annual Alumni Dinner and Awards Ceremony, Rockefeller College of Public Affairs & Policy honors a number of distinguished individuals for their outstanding contributions in the areas of political science, public administration, leadership, and continuing professional development.
For more information on awards categories and to make your nomination by November 1, 2014, please click here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DRXMFB3
- Travel Deadlines: Cambodia and Myanmar
- Location: Rockefeller College
- Description: Travel to Cambodia and Myanmar -- Wintersession program with Rockefeller College Professor Meredith Weiss. Deadline to apply: September 19, 2014.
- Mary Reid Kelley: Working Objects and Videos
- Location: University Art Museum
- Description: "Mary Reid Kelley: Working Objects and Videos” marks the first time this critically-acclaimed artist presents the finely crafted and researched costumes, objects, and drawings that are key to her inventive video process, which fuses live performance, drawing, sculpture, costume design, and digital media.
- Workshop II: What is “plagiarism” all about? How to avoid it?
- Location: University Library
- Description: The second in a series, this workshop will help international students gain a better understanding of what plagiarism is and how to avoid it. Through this hands-on workshop, students will learn the purposes of acknowledging sources; situations that require citations; instances of plagiarism; differences between quoting, summarizing, and paraphrasing; commonly used citation styles (APA and MLA); and tips for avoiding plagiarism.
University Library- LI – B48
- Informatics' Talk Like a Pirate Day
- Location: Business Administration, 3rd Floor
- Description: Did you know September 19 really is a holiday called "Talk Like a Pirate Day"? It's true!
Join the Informatics Department for an open house in our new space with our new faculty, students and plans for the future! Be prepared for fun, games, snacks and a treasure hunt! And of course a Pirate Photo Booth!
Support provided by UAS.
- Rockefeller in the Community: Habitat for Humanity
- Location: 204 Sheridan Avenue, Albany, NY
- Description: Rockefeller in the Community is a series of events that will connect alumni and students with non-profits in the region. Alumni and students will work side-by-side to better the community and learn about the importance of volunteerism and philanthropy. At this first installment we will spend an afternoon at Habitat for Humanity's Sheridan Hollow site. Plan to get your hands dirty! After we build, we will have a group discussion about the significance and impact of community service.
- Fall Fridays for First Year Students: Healthy Minds
- Location: LC 1
- Description: Freshmen are invited to receive information on how to cope with emotional, social and other life issues. Refreshments, gift card give-away and possible extra class credit for students taking UUNI 110, UFSP 100 or UFSP 110.
- Film: I, the Worst of All
- Location: Page Hall
- Description: Directed by Maria Luisa Bemberg
(Argentina, 1990, 105 minutes, color, in Spanish with English subtitles)
Based on a biography by Nobel laureate Octavio Paz, this film tells the story of embattled 17th nun, Sor Juana, who became the "mother of Mexican literature." Shown in conjunction with an appearance by translator Edith Grossman (see September 23 listing). NYS Writers Institute.
- First Run Movie
- Location: Performing Arts Center
- Description: Come check out a newly released movie in the Performing Arts Center!